Tribe Talk

Tribe Talk > About Cars  >  Technical Forum > Share Your Service Charges Here...
Jump to page:  

Date Joined:
05 Jun 2015, 11:00 PM
30 Nov 2011, 09:28 AM

SC charges are standardised ma, what is there to compare?

Aiyoo... why need to curi2 change oil? UMWSC charges is not that expensive la, and you only need to keep your SC service record during the warranty period only. Now my warranty expired, 170k km, I still drop by UWMSC to buy my oil filter, seriously it's different from those selling outside. Not only look, but perform very differently too. I've been away from TGMO FS engine oil after warranty expired at 100k km but now most likely I'll be switching back because it really look and feel differently from Castrol Edge 5w-40.

My recommendation is to use fully synthetic and extend the oil change interval to 10k km. Save one trip to SC comparing to the use of semi sync or mineral oil. If only oil change, RM72 for MaxCare 1 ma, which include cuci, engine wash, vacuum, coffee, cookies and sometimes goodies, with wifi in the waiting area, sometime they adjust your handbrake too, more importantly keeping your warranty intact.

The moment u step into an outside workshop, may god bless u! They will give you a long list of item to change, fan belt, water hose, additive, radiator cap, etc while neglecting the most critical coolant water ratio. Worst still the workshop don't even know the oil or parts used for replacement is original or not, they on on the mercy of the part shop who supply to them. How much coolant you think the outside workshop will pour into your car? At most 1L, sometime 500ml. Do you know the coolant water mix ratio must be same portion, or 1:1 and never allow water to be more than coolant? In some cases 1:2 is allow but I never recommend. With the over diluted ratio, the diluted coolant will form fosphate sediment and start to clog your radiator, on top of reducing cooling efficientcy and wearing out your thermostat and water pump, how many foreman outside know that? Well, maybe they know but since they have difficulty convincing the customer in the past, they just pour in 500ml coolant and no need to waste time arguing with the customer. You need at least 2L of pure Toyota coolant in your cooling system.

The main difference between a 3rd party workshop and authorised SC is that authorised SC has a reputation to keep, and bosses to answer to, which is equally important to profitability. Outside workshop ALWAYS emphasis on profitability and usually resort to scare tactics to entice customers to change more parts than necessary. There's no personal benefit for authortised service advisor to recommend part replacement unnecessarily.

^ Top
Date Joined:
01 Dec 2011, 12:46 PM

andrewkhc, only the labor cost is subjected to the govt tax because it's service tax, for services only, not for tangible parts.

^ Top
Date Joined:
01 Dec 2011, 02:48 PM

Oil filter try to get from SC, seriously, quality different. I buy from outside, even from Perodua SC the original for Kembara [I thought same ma since same engine with my Avanza], every morning start engine hear tappet sound, the Toyota one no such problem becuase higher flow. Cold start is most damaging to engine becuase oil takes time to reach the top of the engine and it contribute over 60% of the engine wear. Few extra Ringgit well worth spending.

^ Top
Jump to page:  

Tribe Talk

17 February 2015, 10:38 PM
Last post by : $last_username

17 February 2015, 10:38 PM

Toyota Hilux 4x4 club

17 February 2015, 10:30 PM